- What is dimple creation surgery?
- What are the pros of dimpleplasty?
- What are the cons of dimpleplasty?
- What are the risks associated with dimple creation surgery?
- Who is an ideal candidate?
- You can choose the shape, depth, and location of your dimple.
- How to prepare for dimple creation surgery?
- What is the procedure?
- What should you expect during the recovery?
- Wrapping up
Do you feel desirous while seeing your favorite star with cute dimples? Not every person is born with this facial trait. However, thanks to the advancements, anyone can get their coveted dimples now. In addition to being a sign of beauty and attraction, dimples are considered a sign of good fortune and luck. No wonder dimple creation surgery has risen over the past few years and gained immense popularity. So, what is dimple creation? What are the pros and cons? Let’s discover all of these one by one.
What is dimple creation surgery?
As the name implies, dimple creation is the cosmetic procedure to create dimples on the cheeks, chin etc.
The dimples that you see when people smile are known as gelasins. These dimples occur naturally due to the indentations in the skin, usually caused by facial muscles or even an injury. If you wish to get adorned with dimples and brighten your smile, you can undergo this dimple creation procedure.
What are the pros of dimpleplasty?
On top of enhancing the facial appearance, there are other benefits of dimpleplasty. Let’s have a look in turn.
- No visible scars: Instead of being performed on the exterior skin, dimpleplasty is performed on the inner side of your cheeks, making lesser chances of visible scars.
- Any person can undergo this surgery: When comparing other surgical procedures, dimple creation can be performed on anyone who wishes to have dimples. Regardless of your cheeks, it is an ideal procedure.
- Speedy process: Special care needs to be taken in other surgical procedures. However, in the case of dimple creation, it is less than an hour process and does not require more time to heal. Patients are likely to go home soon after the surgery. Neither do you need to stay in the hospital. Although one might experience bruising or swelling in the initial days- it will eventually fade with time.
- Reversible surgical procedure: Know the best part? Even if your mind changes, the results are not as expected, or if you do not want dimples anymore, it is relatively easier to reverse the procedure. Sounds exciting, right? The sutures will be removed, and voila! You are dimple-free again.
What are the cons of dimpleplasty?
Surgeries are likely to have some other risks. Though, dimpleplasty has minimal risks.
- Not enduring: There are rare yet some chances of disappearing dimples. If all of a sudden sutures break, the possibility of long-lasting dimples becomes less.
- Improper dimple formation: Sometimes, due to a menacing scar, dimple formation tends to become quite challenging.
What are the risks associated with dimple creation surgery?
The risks associated with dimple creation are rare, but as it is a surgical procedure, it may have some risks. The possible risks could be:
- Excessive bleeding in the area
- The facial nerve could be damaged
- Swelling or redness may occur
- Rare chances of infection or scarring
Visit your doctor immediately if you feel anything unusual happening.
Who is an ideal candidate?
You are likely to be an ideal candidate if:
- You did not undergo any previous facial surgery.
- You did not have any dental surgery.
- You are a non-smoker.
- You have perfect dental hygiene and are not prone to mouth infections.
You can choose the shape, depth, and location of your dimple.
There are many factors that affect the depth, size, and shape of your dimple. Some of these factors include the thickness of your cheeks, the amount of fat present, your face shape, and the balance between your facial muscles. You can discuss in-depth with your surgeon and clear your doubts. Depending on the factors, the doctor will suggest the right way to proceed. This surgery is completely individualized. Therefore, you can choose the depth, shape, and size.
How to prepare for dimple creation surgery?
When you begin to plan for dimple creation, find a board-certified Plastic Surgeon near you to avoid any complications during your surgery. The surgeon will start by evaluating your medical history and discuss your expectations with the procedure. Feel free to clear every question that comes to your mind. The doctor can guide you well.
Also, stop taking certain medications before your surgery- as your doctor recommends. If you’re a smoker, stop smoking. Smoking increases the risks of intricacies.
What is the procedure?
Dimpleplasty is an outpatient procedure. You may or may not be given general anesthesia. The doctor might also apply local anesthesia to the area, just to ensure you do not encounter pain. The surgeon will begin by marking the site of dimple creation. Thereafter, using a small biopsy needle, a hole will be formed to create a dimple.
A small portion of fat or muscle could be removed to create the proper shape. The area of the hole will be 2 to 3 mm long. The entire procedure ends up within 30 minutes or so. Once, the space is formed for dimple creation, the surgeon places a sling from one part of the cheek to the other. The sling is then tied carefully to set the dimple permanently into place. The stitches are formed inside the oral cavity, thus leaving no chance of scars.
What should you expect during the recovery?
As mentioned earlier, dimpleplasty is a straightforward procedure, meaning you need not stay in the hospital overnight. You may experience mild swelling post-surgery. The doctor will recommend you to apply cold packs to minimize swelling. The swelling fades away within a few days. You can resume your work schedule two days post-operation. Isn’t that great?
Make sure you follow your doctor’s instructions carefully and take follow-up to ensure everything goes smoothly.
You are advised to take enough care after the surgery, as the oral cavity is prone to infections. The doctor may prescribe you an antiseptic mouthwash. The doctor will recommend you an antiseptic mouthwash that must be used a couple of times a day. For quick recovery, the doctor will prescribe some medications.
Dimples will be visible directly, though final results may occur after a few months. The sutures are usually dissolvable, so they do not need not be removed. The doctor might ask you to take a liquid diet for the initial days post-op. Also, you would be advised to avoid hot, cold, and spicy foods for a few days post-surgery.
The primary benefit of dimple creation is feeling more beautiful and confident after the surgery. It is a highly popular cosmetic procedure and offers long-lasting results. Keep your expectations realistic. The key to achieving great results is following the doctor’s instructions carefully.
If you are looking for dimple creation, we can help you enhance your beautiful smile. Consult our expert doctors today and get your desired results.
Our highly skilled and experienced Board Certified Cosmetic, Plastic, and Hair Transplant surgeons are committed to providing the best in patient care, advice, and support. With the expert attention and commitment of our clinical and administrative team, patients are supported through every step of their journey with the resources required to make fully informed decisions.