Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- What is a hair transplant?
- What are the 2 common types of hair transplants?
- Follicular Unit Extraction
- What are the targeted areas?
- What are the benefits of the FUE method?
- What is the procedure?
- Effectiveness of FUE
- What are the risks or side effects associated with FUE?
- What are the things you need to know beforehand?
- Things to keep in mind post-surgery.
- Bottom line
- Are you looking for a certified surgeon to perform FUE transplantation?
In this fast-paced era, hair loss is one of the stumbling blocks hitting beauty. Hair loss is, however, caused due to heredity, poor diet, aging, stress, medications, or hormonal changes in the body. Hair loss moreover affects an individual’s physical appearance. In addition, it affects mental health, which results in depression and lower confidence. Hair loss is also known as Alopecia.
All thanks to technological advancements, every problem has a cure. Some people let the hair loss untreated, while others hide it with makeup, wigs, or scarves. And some people choose to undergo hair treatments to restore hair growth or prevent further hair loss. Now, let’s first understand the term hair transplant.
What is a hair transplant?
For Androgenetic Alopecia patients, the hair is removed from the donor region ( the areas with existing natural hairs ) and transplanted into the areas of thinning or baldness. The hair will preserve the characteristics from which it came. During the procedure, each hair graft is designed individually for transplantation, then tiny holes are made in the recipient areas wherein the new grafts have to be transplanted.
On an average, 4000 new grafts could be transplanted in a single day. For patients with more baldness, 2000 more grafts can also be transplanted.
What are the 2 common types of hair transplants?
- Follicular Unit Extraction
- Follicular Unit Transplant
Now, let’s dive in to understand one of the most common method of hair transplant ie ; Follicular Unit Extraction.
Follicular Unit Extractionṣ
In Follicular Unit Extraction, individual hair follicles are removed from areas having thicker hair and transplanted into areas with baldness or receding hair. Micro Punches are used by surgeons to extract the hair follicles leaving no signs of extraction. Follicular Unit Extraction is the alternative method to traditional hair transplantation methods. This hair transplant method is less likely to look like a hair plug and leaves you with zero or lesser scars. Now, are you curious about whether you are an ideal candidate? An ideal candidate for the FUE hair transplant is the one who has pattern baldness, in essence, has thicker hair nearby useful for transplant.
What are the targeted areas?
Follicular Unit Extraction is more often used for hair transplants. FUE can be performed on the areas with no or thin hair ie in the scalp, eyebrows, beard etc and primary donor areas are back of head, under chin area and chest hairs.
What are the benefits of the FUE method?
- Lesser pain compared to other procedures.
- The treatment ends up giving healthier, fuller hair.
- The hair follicle extraction causes little or no scars.
- An out-patient procedure.
- Faster hair recovery
- Boosts self-confidence
What is the procedure?
Here’s how this procedure works:
- Your surgeon will begin shaving down the areas around the transplant area along with the areas where hair follicles should be removed.
- Thereafter, they will remove follicles with the help of micro punch tools.
- Followed by a series of small incisions to insert the extracted hair follicles.
- Now, they will insert the hair follicles into the incisions.
- Once completed, the area will be cleaned and bandaged for recovery.
Effectiveness of FUE
- The expected hair regrowth percentage is likely between 95 to 99% at Luxor hospital.
- The transplanted hair typically regrows within 3 to 4 months.
What are the risks or side effects associated with FUE?
Any cosmetic surgery is risky and has some other risks. Let’s uncover the side effects caused by the FUE method. As mentioned earlier, FUE does not leave many scars, just the tiny extraction dots which eventually fade.
- swelling or pain around the surgery
- numbness or infection symptoms
- hair receding or balding continues even after surgery
- a slighter difference between the original and transplanted hair
- follicle swelling
Visit your surgeon if you have any of these symptoms.
What are the things you need to know beforehand?
Keep these things in mind before your surgical process to avoid complications.
- If you are a smoker, avoid smoking at least one week prior to your surgery.
- Avoid drinking alcohol at least 4 days prior to your surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin or blood thinners 1 weeks prior to your surgery.
- Also, avoid consuming any vitamins, dietary supplements, or antidepressants for the same.
- Do not trim your hair before the treatment.
- For improved blood circulation, massage your scalp for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Consult a certified doctor and complete your medical tests to ensure safety.
Things to keep in mind post-surgery.
Although the recovery is fast, you may be advised to follow some instructions by your doctor, depending on your surgery.
- Avoid washing your hair for a minimum of 3 days post-surgery.
- After some days, use mild and unscented shampoos for your scalp.
- Take more rest to speed up the recovery process.
- Do not use a comb on your newly transplanted hair for about 3 weeks.
- Avoid laborious activities.
- Avoid covering your head with hats, and scarves until your doctor advises you.
You may experience some hair loss during the healing process, which is totally alright! Results will be seen within 3 to 4 months of transplantation.
Follicular Unit Extraction is one of the enticing hair transplant methods which compels the field of transplant surgery. The cost can vary depending on the amount of hair transplanted, doctor visits, any medical tests, or the proficiency of the surgeon. It is much safer as compared to other procedures with minimal risks associated.
Are you looking for a certified surgeon to perform FUE transplantation?
Luxor Hospital understands that hair is an important part of your personality. We strive to provide you with the best hair treatment and help you make a fabulous impression. Luxor Hospital specializes in both Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) hair transplant surgery. We assess your current condition to move ahead and give you a safe surgery. The results are visible a couple of weeks post-surgery. We at Luxor Hospital, give paramount importance to pre and post-surgical care.
Every person is different – with diverse needs and aspirations. We at Luxor hospital, believe in respecting your needs by offering hassle-free hair transplant surgery. Get in touch with us now at +91 7990710731.