Rhinoplasty- often referred to as a nose job and medically known as nasal reconstruction; is the most common plastic surgery; done for reshaping or reconstructing the nose. Yet, people look for a non-surgical alternative to get their nose job done right. If you are wondering whether any such way exists, then yes, it does! Liquid Rhinoplasty, a non-surgical nose job, is a boon for people looking for a less invasive yet affordable procedure. Now that you know such a procedure exists- let’s uncover the other aspects that will blow your mind. This article explains the procedure’s pros and cons, contrary to a surgical nose job.
What is liquid rhinoplasty?
Liquid Rhinoplasty is a non-surgical alternative to conventional rhinoplasty surgery. Although it is a non-surgical option, it still helps to get rid of bumps and contours the nose with a lesser recovery period. More often, it’s a temporary non-surgical way to treat nose asymmetry, a drooping nasal tip, or a dorsal hump.
To improve the contours and reshape them, the surgeon usually injects HA (Hyaluronic Acid) fillers underneath your nose skin and transforms the nose structure. Such fillers are most commonly used in cheek and lip fillers. Eventually, these fillers gained popularity as a safer yet effective surgical alternative. Researchers also claim that HA gels are to cure nasal issues that traditional rhinoplasty surgery could not. They are also used to fix minor post-rhinoplasty surgery issues.
Who is an ideal candidate?
A good candidate is someone with small nasal bumps, and slightly droopy tips, it depends moreover on the patient’s goals and nose anatomy. Asymmetries along with the nose can be effectively treated with injections. It is vital to have realistic expectations with the surgery. Also, you will have to follow the surgeon’s instructions to avoid complications. Begin with understanding the pros and cons associated with the nose job and act accordingly.
Who is not an ideal candidate?
Liquid rhinoplasty is not recommended for those who are looking for a severe change. It is clearly not meant for people with crooked or broken noses. If you are looking for a way to treat breathing issues, traditional rhinoplasty would be a better choice.
Also, it is not for people who wear glasses 24*7. Not wearing sunglasses or glasses is advised for 1 to 2 weeks post-procedure. Glasses tend to put pressure on the area, hence there are chances that the material can combine with the skin. Moreover, glasses can dislocate the filler materials, when added to the bridge of the nose.
What does the procedure involve?
The liquid rhinoplasty procedure is relatively simple as compared to traditional rhinoplasty surgery.
- The procedure begins with the patient either lying down or sitting, as advised by the surgeon.
- The nose will be cleaned with a solution containing 70% of alcohol.
- To minimize the pain, either ice or numbing cream is applied. None of them will be used if the filler incorporates a local anesthetic.
- Thereafter, small portions of the HA gel are injected into the area.
- To avoid pressure the filler is gently rubbed, not massaged.
- Liquid rhinoplasty is also known as a “15-min nose job”, as it requires less time. However, if a numbing agent is used, it may take 10-15 minutes to set in.
What does recovery look like?
The biggest advantage of liquid rhinoplasty is that it requires a lesser downtime. You can be back to work the very same day. After the surgery, you may come across some swelling or redness, which eventually subsides.
Patients are highly advised to prevent pressure for about 1 to 2 weeks. They may have to gently massage the area.
How long do rhinoplasty results last?
Unlike traditional rhinoplasty, liquid rhinoplasty results do not last long. Most of the filler ingredients will dissolve into the skin for 6 months, some may also last up to 3 years. It totally depends on the fillers used and the desired results. You may have to repeat the procedure to maintain the results. Some patients say they did not require any follow-up treatments for 24 months.
Are there any risks or complications?
Liquid rhinoplasty comes up with a low complication rate, as compared to the traditional ones. In addition to redness or swelling at the injection site, it includes:
- vascular complications
- tissue death
- vision loss
- filler migration
How to prepare?
A different set of guidelines are associated with different fillers. Your plastic surgeon will give you instructions prior to your nose job.
- Avoid aspirin, anti-inflammatory medication, and any other blood-thinning supplements before the procedure. Ensure that your doctor is aware of your medical history.
- Check on your vitamin K levels, to prevent the risks of bruising. To boost your levels, make green leafy vegetables a part of your diet.
- Avoid overeating, drink lots of water, and consume meals that are rich in protein or starch.
Pros and Cons of liquid rhinoplasty :
Pros of liquid rhinoplasty surgery:
- The procedure is usually finished within 15 minutes. While a traditional rhinoplasty surgery continues for 1 to 4 hours. Isn’t that a great advantage?
- Liquid Rhinoplasty has a minimal recovery time, and results are prompt. You can resume your work the same day.
- As there is no use of anesthesia, you will be aware of the whole procedure. Some surgeons let you see through the mirror while providing you more control.
- To your surprise. if HA fillers are used, this procedure can be reversible. If results don’t seem as expected, or any complications arise, the surgeon uses hyaluronidase to liquefy the filler.
Cons of liquid rhinoplasty surgery :
- As the results are temporary, you will need to consider more treatment options to maintain the results.
- Severe vascular complications were reported during a study. This generally happens when the filler has been injected into one of the nose arteries, or it comes so near that it shortens it, disconnecting the blood supply.
- Since arteries are connected to the eye’s retina, vascular complications can lead to blindness. Other closely connected arteries can also lead to necrosis or death of the skin. Regardless, these complications are rare when performed under the hands of a suitably qualified, board-certified plastic surgeon.
Pros and cons of surgical rhinoplasty procedure:
Pros of surgical rhinoplasty procedure:
- You will not be limited to performing single surgery- instead, you can undergo multiple surgeries at a time.
- For instance, you can get both a nose job and chin augmentation done.
- Contrary to liquid rhinoplasty- the results with surgical rhinoplasty are usually long-lasting.
- Apart from being a cosmetic procedure, conventional rhinoplasty also helps address issues like breathing and reshapes the nose by performing structural changes.
Liquid rhinoplasty has become a favored preference for those looking to avoid surgeries, who are worried about the risks and recovery time associated with traditional rhinoplasty surgery. Bearing under the needle is certainly less complicated than going under the knife for a nose job, but changing the nose’s shape is never risk-free. Make sure you find a board-certified plastic surgeon for the procedure to get positive and desired results. Though the recovery time is less, you may require more treatments to maintain the results. Nevertheless, liquid rhinoplasty is absolutely a safer and more efficient alternative to rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty Surgery in Vadodara
Luxor Hospital is dedicated exclusively to top Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, where all patients are operated and taken care of exclusively by Dr. Saumya Nayak himself. Request an appointment with Dr. Saumya Nayak for more details at +91 79907 10731. Dr. Saumya Nayak adopt’s a positive and safe approach for tailoring treatment with each patient according to what is most suitable for them. He also believes in addressing any underlying issues that might be causing or aggravating the aesthetic problems, to give the best results.